Thursday, June 17, 2004

"let it go"

I listened as my friend told me she was thinking about the times and the places where she has told me to just "let it go". I give her many opportunities to at least think those words, if not say them. In my quest to make perfect sense of my history, past and present, happy and down-right hellish, I have unloaded many loads of my filthy laundry at her feet. I usually don't have expectations of her to tend to my laundry-- just to keep me company; to chit-chat as I fold my thoughts and put them away until a later time.

Sometimes it's my whites and self-righteous ponderings/wanderings that I bring to life's laundromat. But, more often it's the everyday clothes, the worn out favorites that I'm trying to preserve. It's my personal integrity, my sanity, my feeble 'rememberings', and the list could go on...and she sits with me at life's laundromat and quietly picks up the pieces. When the socks/thoughts don't match and the stains/pains won't go away she quietly tells me "let it go".

Tonight she told me that she might be ready to start thinking about making more frequent visits to the laundromat. She might even start entertaining the notions of letting go. I'm very proud of her. Those laundry baskets that she drags around are wearing her out.

I'll help you fold any day.

No comments: